Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blathering on about Books, Boys, and Brits

Really don't have time to write much now, sorry. But I've been reading some books lately (while I should be studying!) - Bridget Jones' Diary and now I'm reading Confessions of a Shopaholic.


I don't recommend Bridget Jones, really, unless you want to pick up British slang (which I do - someone tell me what "sod" means, please. I know it's rather nasty... but what's it mean?). Bridget is rather a sad character, and makes 128 lbs seem terrible. The romance isn't very good, mostly, and they're all drunk a lot. But there's some excellent feminism.

At first, I thought Shopaholic was awful because Rebecca what's-her-face is rather silly and has zero self-control. She can't manage money at all, and I find that irritating and stupid beyond belief. But don't give up hope - there's men involved eventually and then the plot thickens, and she does some actually smart things. But, like I said, I haven't finished.



I feel very strange, because I keep using words like rather, excellent, and nasty in places that I normally wouldn't. Why? Because of that aforementioned obsession. Didn't get the hint? Look at the initials of the title of my last post, and then watch the Narnia movies and google William Moseley. He's fabulous - pretty and sweet. And I think he has a six-pack, but I wouldn't really know. Anyway, in the end, I go through phases of obsession, and this is a package deal: WM and the UK, basically. If you live in the UK, maybe you think I'm a loser (would you be right?), but everything's just so lovely there! Like the manner of speaking.

Anyway, that's why I'm reading predominantly British authors. This post is silly, but that's what happens when you listen to Taylor Swift while you write. Maybe I'll delete this later - enjoy it while you can.

xoxo,
SMG

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh lala i love british accents too ;)

<3 Sarah

Kickingcouture said...

This made me laugh as im a brit!

Bridget jones is such a great book but it makes you feel sad with her lack of self confidence.

I have to say i have an obsession with america!